Deck Cadet Training Program
CertHE Nautical Science
(OOW Level/2nd Mate)
STCW (9 Months) + Practical Training
On Board Placement
with salary of USD 250-USD 350 PM
Phase III:DipHE Nautical Science
(Chief Mate Level-UK CoC)
9 months of CertHE/OOW/2nd Mate
15 months of Sailing as
USD 250-300 PM
10 months of
Obtain OOW UK CoC
After 18 months of
sailing appear for
Chief Mate UK CoC
USD 2000-USD 5000 PM
After 18 months of sailing appear for Masters UK CoC
USD 6500-USD 9000 PM
You will be the Master & take command of a vessel
USD 10,500-USD 12,000 PM
LJMU CertHE Nautical Science
CertHE in Nautical Science will develop students as independent learners and prepare them for a career as a Merchant Navy Deck Ofﬁcer with requisite knowledge,skills and attitudes which such a position and responsibility demands.
Why Study this Course at SAMET?
One of SAMET’s objectives is to provide world class training in Merchant Navy and to develop students as independent learners, preparing them for a career as a Merchant Navy Deck/Engineer Ofﬁcer with the knowledge, skills and attitudes which such an undertaking demands.
It seeks to achieve this by offering a curriculum of studies that collectively represents the demands of the industry. It aims to accomplish this by providing courses approved by LJMU at a LEVEL 4 of the CertHE Programme progressing to studying DipHE in the University. Through this study the students will be able to develop their knowledge, aptitudes and interests in the Merchant Navy. It will also help them form an individual group of integrated skills for the students to study in greater depth, thereby encouraging them further to go for higher studies in future. Further specialist studies will enable the learners to build a career in management in the wider maritime industry.
Apart from the above, those students interested in a deeper study or wishing to consider other opportunities in the marine industry including ship management, business, nautical surveying, research and marine education will have the opportunity to study variety of courses in LJMU which is the franchisor of SAMET or opt for research studies.
As one of the largest maritime education provider based in eastern part of India and having a training experience of over 700 Deck Cadets so far, SAMET is very much aware of the changing maritime business needs in the industry as a whole and is committed to growing and adapting the Academic Center to meet emerging needs in the maritime business.
The study in SAMET will allow the students to:
- Receive comprehensive academic training in Nautical Science thereby helping them obtain a qualiﬁcation from world class University, Liverpool John Moores University.
- Receive additional fully integrated training on occupational competency about conduct and job onboard. This program includes training on our state of the art bridge and engine room simulators and various other practical cadetship training, which will prepare the cadets for disciplined Life at Sea.
- To be able to accomplish the above in training, SAMET’s training facilities are unrivaled nationally and rivals the best maritime institutes around the world. Its state of the art simulations and safety training ground provide the very best opportunity for cadets to train for real life situation using the most advanced maritime industry standard equipment.
- SAMET’s facilities include Bridge, High Voltage and Liquid Cargo operation simulators for higher standard training. Our specialist training facility is the only one in the East of India and among a few Academic Centers in the world with all training facilities under one roof.
- All our classrooms are equipped with the latest smart teaching equipment to make each session more interactive and comprehensive. And all of the classrooms being air-conditioned provides comfort to the students. The academy has an independent air-conditioned hostel facility with clean and hygienic dining area, posh restaurant, gymnasium and recreation area for students.
Duration: 3 Years (Approximate) for completing DipHE Nautical Science [Includes 15 months of placement duration]
Entry Requirements: 10+2 Science with 50% /10+2 Commerce with 60%
6,90,000 INR (To be paid in installments). Applicants are required to submit 90,000 INR, a non- refundable deposit with their application form, which is inclusive of the course fees. Deposits can be paid by bank Demand Draft payable to ‘Springdale Academy of Maritime Education and Training Trust (SAMET)’.
SAMET does not charge any placement fees separately. It sponsors placement of successful students through its authorized placement partner.
Teaching and Assessment:
Assessment will be through a combination of examination, in-module coursework assignments and project work (as may apply). However, there is a concentration towards examinations due to the professional body (MCA) requirements. The general assessment regulations will be in accordance with the current LJMU assessment regulations.
SAMET has adequate contacts to coordinate the placement of all students admitted onto the course. It has contractual arrangement with a Ship Management Company who will take utmost care in recruitment and selection of students for onboard training, provide support for appropriate documentation and will have dedicated training ofﬁcers to monitor MNTB record books of students on-board. SAMET also provides adequate support on the way to record all trainings completed by a student on-board.
SAMET guarantees 100% placement sponsorship to the students on successful completion of LJMU CertHE Nautical Science Program. The Academy also holds track record of 100% placement sponsorship facility for the students enrolled on to the LJMU Cert HE Nautical Science Program since the start of Deck cadet program in SAMET.
Many of our students on this program have successfully completed the required sea-time and have progressed to LJMU to complete the DipHE Nautical Science for OOW CoC.
To obtain a UK Deck Ofﬁcer STCW CoC, students will additionally have to go through the
following procedures on completion of their CertHE Nautical Science at SAMET.
- For cadet enrolling after July 2017, clause 2.1 of MIN 530(M) would apply where students would be required to complete 15 months’ of sea-time course as a trainee deck ofﬁcer or Deck Cadet at sea. Your onboard training at sea will need to be evidenced by a MNTB Training Record Book and documented workbook as per section 6.1 of MNTB TRB.
- DipHE Nautical Science at Liverpool John Moores University will be a 10 months course leading to Level 5 qualiﬁcation. The DipHE Nautical science qualiﬁcation will give exemptions for Chief Mates Certiﬁcate of competency later in your career.
- For OOW Certiﬁcate of Competency, students need to go through MCA safety examinations arranged by SQA at LJMU UK and Oral examination by MCA in UK.